Reporter

Serpent 2wd Spyder Shortcourse

11 posts in this topic

Serpent 2wd Spyder Shortcourse is on its way...

Serpent is completing the last stages of the Spyder SC 1/10 2wd car to be released early june.

More info soon ...

Team Serpent

1234578500b.jpg

USA: Billy Easton testing the final version of the Serpent 1/10 Spyder SC 2wd kit, which will be released around mid june.

Images courtesy JVK. Thx.

3-10351907_727995280584734_4759358643398229155_n.jpg

3-10390354_727995300584732_2443061964325763392_n.jpg

3-10313623_727995250584737_1918801075058289989_n.jpg

3-10389996_727995233918072_1577400898592395810_n.jpg

Description:

Serpent SPYDER 2wd SCT

1/10 scale, electric powered Short Course Truck , rear motor

Serpent designer Billy Easton, former 1/10 scale 2wd World Champion, and the designer of the successful Cobra 1/8 series of cars and the recent Spyder 2wd buggy in RM and MM, has created this next masterpiece, the rear motor SCT version of the very popular Spyder series .

Serpent decided to create the Short Course Truck based on the very popular Spyder rear motor buggy.

Key features of the SPYDER 2wd SC truck

- High performance race geometry

- Very long wishbones

- Unique steeringblock design

- Big bore 12mm RCM type shocks with dual system

- Highly Efficient Steering ackermann

- Wide side guards with polycarbonate inserts

- Rear motor design

- Adjustable rear differential height

- 3 pad slipper clutch / ball differential

- Narrow composite chassis design

- Light SC body with flares

Features

Chassis

Composite chassis plate with a layout allowing for a perfect weight balance, and optimal space for the electronics, battery and servo. The front Kick-up angle in the Chassis incorporates more clearance for racing and allow for more nose landings.

Durable composite front and rear shock towers, with multiple shock angle positions allowing drivers to fine tune for varying track conditions.

Shock absorbers

Dual system 12mm big bore shocks with hard coated threaded bodies, a unique cap design, a superbly sealing o-ring and spacer package. The Shocks can be used in Bladder or Emulsion setups. The shock-set comes with a set of moulded pistons to choose from. A selection of 5 springs-sets is available to fine-tune the suspension settings. Shock Collars with inner o-rings are used on the threaded bodies to set-ride height.

Front upper bulkhead

The front upper bulkhead supports the upper links and shock tower in the best possible way. The front section offers the option to mount a front sway bar unit

Front bumper system

The durable composite front bumper system will absorb the worst of head on crashes and will allower for save nose landing.

Front wishbones

The long front Wishbones are made from a super strong composite material. The arms are angled to optimize the CG and pivot on 3mm captured pins on the inside and out. The arms have 2 mounting positions for shock angle and are prepared to use an optional anti-roll bar if needed.

Front and Rear Track Rods

Spring steel front and rear track rods are mounted to durable composite captured ball joints. The track Rods have L/R threading for easy adjustments.

Castor blocks and settings

Caster block inserts come as 0, 2.5 and 5 degree version all of which are included. The caster blocks are very compact and strong units made from a special composite material.

Steering Block and Rear Upright

The steering blocks fit 5x10x4 mm bearings. The rear hub uprights use a larger 5x14x4 outer bearing and 10x15x4 mm inner for ultimate lasting performance. The steering blocks and rear uprights utilize some of the best high strength materials on the market today.

Upright Settings

The rear uprights allow you to adjust, the toe in from -2 to + 2 degrees by use of various inserts also included in the kit.

Steering system and Ackermann

The steering system has a reverse swinging pivot system that optimizes the efficiency through all different types of corners. You have 3 Ackerman choices to choose from.

Wheel-axles and wheel hex.

The spring steel wheel-axles utilized 12mm hex adapter to follow current market standards. The front springs steel axle is fixed, while the rear wheel-hex is a clamping aluminum version.

Battery space mount and weight balance

The battery is mounted perfectly in the center line of the car. Its an exact fit for saddle packs. In case of using a Shorty-pack, it can be moved to front or back to play with weight balance. Pieces of hard foam are supplied to do so and secure the battery in position. The carbon fibre battery-top-brace has a secure quick release system with handy alu twist nuts.

Side guards

The side-guards or nerv-bars are an innovative construction. The sideguards are made wide, so it supports the sides of the body well. The inside of the guards are open, but filled with polycarbonate sheets. In jumps with SC cars you have the ballooning effect, as wind is captured under the body, losing stability. The closed section on the Serpent Spyder SC will largely prevent that from happening, creating better balanced jumping and more stability. The precut polycarbonate sheets come clear and can be painted in yr favourite color scheme too !

Differential

The limited slip ball differential is a super compact, effective and durable unit. Utilizing 1.8th inch diff balls for ultimate durability. The structure and assembly is common type in this class, but the high quality parts and well functioning will make it stand out. The height of the diff can be changed with inserts.

Motor plate and motor guard

The motor plate come sin black anodized aluminum.

Anti-roll bars

Anti-roll bars can be fitted on the front and rear of the car, but are optional. They can be used on high grip surfaces to further adjust the cars performance

Rear Transmission case

The composite rear transmission case is light and durable. It allows the driver to adjust the differential height to each specific condition. It also securely holds the motor plate, differential as well as supports the rear wing mount and rear carbon fibre shock tower.

Rear driveshaft system, wheel-axles

The spring steel drive shafts are thin and light, yet durable. The spring steel wheel-axles are 5mm, light and durable, guided by the 2 different size of bearings, inner 10x14x4 mm and outer 5x13x4 mm. The driveshaft pin is fully captured to prevent any failure. These bearings are for sure to stand up the rigors of any track condition.

Rear suspension brackets and toe in

The 3mm spring steel pivot pins are held in place by the suspension bracket made from aluminum. Inside the bracket you use inserts to set toe-in and roll center. You can adjust the toe-in from 2 to 4 degrees and adjust the anti squat from 0 to 4 degrees.

Rear suspension arms

The long and durable angled rear suspension arms are very tough units to withstand the rigors of the track and the hard landings. The rear arm offers 2 options for shock position and two mounting locations for the rear anti-roll bar if needed.

Rear Chassis skid plate

The composite rear skid plate connects to the chassis plate. This connection allows you to unclip the rear end in one piece, but helps reduce the total cost of maintenance. It is also made from extremely high strength composite material.

Rear bumper

The rear bumper section is a very durable unit, easy to disassembe, and fits well with the rear of the body, to absorb the worst of back-end crashes.

Body shell and rear wing

The light realistic looking Short Course style body, made in top quality clear polycarbonate, has a nice flowing line, steep front windscreen for down force . The separate flares in the rear section help for stability in jumps, high speed and cornering.

Ballbearings

High speed sealed stainless steel ballbearings with aeroshell oil

Fastners

Hard steel , mostly allen screws, roundhead and countersunk. Minimized number of different allen heads to make working on the car easier.

Wheels

Durable white Serpent Short Course wheels.

The kit comes complete with body and wheels, full color manual and exploded views, a blank and standard set-up sheet and Serpent decals.

Set-up possibilities

- Wheelbase

- Caster

- Ackerman

- Axle height Front

- Front and rear camber

- Front Toe-in and toe-out

- Rear Inboard toe-in angle

- Rear Outboard toe-in angle

- Antisquat

- Roll-centers

- Ride height

- Weight balance

- Shocks for dampening and springs, shock angle

- Gear ratios

- Anti-roll bar thickness ( option)

- Electronic placement

Kit includes

- Racing chassis

- Clear body and rear wing

- Front and rear wheels with 12mm hex

- Full color manual and decals

- Not included: tyres/inserts/electronics

Tech-specs

Length: 540mm ( with body)

Width: 295mm (varies with set-up)

Height: 190mm

Wheelbase: 330mm

Gear Ratio: 2.43:1

Weight: varies with electronics used

Designed by Billy Easton, USA

Team Serpent

1234578588b.jpg

1234578525b.jpg

1234578555b.jpg

1234578563b.jpg

1234578568b.jpg

500330 Batteryplate carbon SRX2 SC

500335 Shocktower carbon rr SRX2 SC

500336 Shocktower carbon fr SRX2 SC

Serpent introduce for the Spyder SRX2 SC these fine, durable machined carbon fibre shocktowers front and rear and a carbon fibre batteryplate.

These are a direct replacement for the composite ones in the standard kit. To mount the rear shocktower, you also need the 500131 nylon shocktower holder RM.

3-500330.jpg

3-500336.jpg

3-500335.jpg

3-500333.jpg

500333 Wheelhexagon -0.75mm offset SRX2 SC (2)

500334 Wheelhexagon +0.75mm offset SXR2 SC (2)

Serpent introduce for the 1/10 Spyder SRX2- SCT these optional machined aluminum hex wheel adaptors in topquality alumimium with minus 0,75mm offset and with + 0.75mm offset to play wit set-up.

Laser engraved, grey anodised . No other mods required.

3-500334.jpg

Serpent 1/10 Spyder optionals

4049-500344.jpg

4049-500353.jpg

4049-500352.jpg

Product

500352 Top-shaft set 21T stock SRX2

500353 Top-shaft 21T stock SRX2

500344 Idler gear 27T steel

Product-description Serpent introduce for the Spyder SRX-2 series cars a special top-shaft set for use in the stock-class.

One as set with adaptor and one just the top-shaft .

For the drivers looking for even more durability, Serpent offer the steel 27T idler gear ( as will be used in next RTR models), as alternative for the composite or alu version ( 500166 / 500260) .

These fit all Spyder cars.

source :Serpent

Interview Billy Easton on the new Spyder SCT 1/10 2wd

4049-billy-easton-usa.jpg

Below a number of questions to the designer of the Spyder SCT 1/10 2wd

Q: What are the 5 key features of the Spyder SCT which make it stand out and why ?

A:

1. The main and most important feature is probably true SCT suspension geometry that is purpose built for SCT tire diameters.

2. The next thing up is the purpose built side guards that reduce unwanted air flow under the body. This is crucial on tracks with big jumps and really helps keep the truck flying through the air in a more natural flight path.

3. Although we have this on our RM and MM versions, I think a customer racing the Spyder SCT will really appreciate the fact he will never loose a ballcup in a crash. As racing SCT’s is a litte bit more bump and grind with other vehicles than 2wd or 4wd buggy.

4. The simplicity but functional front and rear bumpers is a help. The designs are simple, but the rigidity of the bumper and ease of assembly will help customers in the maintenance areas.

5. The current crop of SCT’s do not have captured axles and a fair amount of customers have driveshaft set screws coming loose. This will not be a problem as our drive shafts have fully captured pins.

Q: Why did you use the Spyder RM as basis instead the MM ?

A: Well… MM cars and trucks have been around for the last 4 or more years, yet a RM SCT has won every single national title. There are some reasons though. You have to consider the length of a SCT. The wheel base is extremely long and the longer you make a car, the more rear grip you will need in order to propel it in a straight line. I would also say that 90% of the customers that buy these will be racing in conditions that are more slippery and loose, so again, more rear traction will be needed. A MM version might have been nice for say astro turf or tracks where you have insane amount of grip, but I feel the conditions you will actually use this product a RM will be more than capable of doing the job..

Q: What makes the challenge to design the SCT different from the buggies?

A: There really is not more of a challenge in my opinion in regards to a buggy versus a SCT. The requirements are a little different, but the performance is basically the same. The biggest troubles with SCT’s are their high CG. This means you have to pay more attention to keeping the weight that is high as light as possible. Aside from that, when driving one, there is a lot more body roll than a buggy. It takes some getting use to, but the performance from our SCT was extremely impressive in its test stages.

Q: What was the hardest design element?

A: To be totally honest, in this design, there are so many bodies and variants that you have to have the bumpers in the correct spot, height of the body posts. Not to high, not to low. Since we really did not SLA any samples prior, there had to be a fair amount of detail in these specifics. It’s a little more pressure on me as a designer to make sure its right.

Q: How are laptimes of a SCT compared to a RM buggy, at the same track, using the same gear ?

A: I actually did a fair amount of research on this during our prototype testing stage. I needed to know how big of a difference I could expect the lap times to be from a RM/MM buggy versus an SCT.I found that most other brands were within 1.5 seconds of their buggies. When I actually found a good setup for our truck, we were within 1 second, sometimes 0.75 per lap of our MM buggy in sugared high grip. This was really impressive for us, and also very positive for those that were able to witness it first hand.

Q: Wo designed the body of the Spyder SCT and what are the key features?

A: I actually do most all the bodies for my projects. This one in particular was more tricky. I actually did not have as much freedom as I usually do. ROAR has a set rules for all the dimensions of the body to make it as scale as possible. So before I could really invent some new something, I had to make sure the body complied with all the rules they had set for it. My main goal was to lower the weight of the body in all places I could without breaking any rules. I actually turned to the Lucas oil racing and started to look at the trucks of today. I also looked at trucks from the Micky Thompson era. During the Micky Thompson era they had higher fenders than the current Lucas trucks. So I incorporated more of that look into our body. Aside from that, I made some cool number plates that doubled as a set of rear stabilizer wings. In the end I was happy with the appearance of the body, and quite frankly, there were quite a few customers at the track that liked the look as well.

Q: You have designed the Spyder range of 2wd cars in the past year, RM, MM and now SC; can you tell us what your next project is ?

A: We always seem to have something going on, as our company is growing year after year. I have been working on something I feel might change the way we look at 4wd offroad cars. If you take a look at the direction we have gone in 2wd, they have really bridged the gap between the 4wd offroad cars currently on the market. The 4wd’s really are not as fast as I feel they should be. I want to make something that gives them back more of an advantage on the track, something you can actually use more power in and put the power down in a larger variety of conditions. Most of the 4wd’s of today really do not generate the traction they should, I want to fix that.

Q: Have you raced and will you be racing the Spyder SCT regularly yourselves, and if yes what will be the main events in 2014 ?

A: I have started to race it more and more. I plan on this to continue. Its really tough though with my involvement with all the cars as I race the ones im working on at the time. I do enjoy electric offroad though as its much easier to just “go racing” than gas. I need less resources as well as less time to prepare. My first real race with our SCT will be at the ROAR Nationals at Space Coast in Cocoa Florida.

Thanks Billy for the answers and more in dept look at your work designing the cars.

Good luck with next designs and racing !

Team Serpent